Whether you’re going on a weekend trip or living abroad for six months, there are some basic tips for packing in the most efficient way possible. #1 Tip: Saving space is the name of the game! Here are the ones I’ve discovered over the years.
- Pick outfits that can mix and match. In other words, maximize the wear-ability of each clothing item. Start out with a color palette in mind, I usually choose one bright color (red, green, etc.) and have the rest of the palette be neutrals such as white, black, navy blue, gray, and tan. Then choose your items based on this color palette. Try to pick styles that all go together so you can make as many outfits as possible from the fewest clothing items. For example, I have chosen enough clothing for a weekend trip (2 days, 1 night). I have two shirts, one pair pants, one sweater, one jacket, and one pair of shoes. I plan for all these things to together. The more flexible your outfits are, the less you bring, and the more space you save.
- Stuff your smaller items (socks, underwear, etc.) inside shoes to save space.
- Roll your larger clothing items, this will save space.
- If you won’t be gone long, consider transferring toiletries to smaller containers (shampoo, lotion, etc.) and using travel size toothpaste and deodorant.
- Place anything you might need easy access to (books, pens, chargers, snacks) in an outside pocket or at the top of your suitcase
- Wrap fragile items in your clothing as padding. This tip is especially useful when bringing gifts or packing to return with souvenirs that need extra protection.
That’s about it! All it takes is a little planning beforehand to pack in the most efficient way.